Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Attitude of Gratitude


This year I made a different kind of resolution, the resolution to be grateful.  Of course I also made the usual fitness and money related goals, but instead of trying to be ‘more’ I have decided to focus on what I have.

I usually make resolutions to be more organized, or to learn more of something, or to be better at something, and I rarely keep them.  This year I’ve decided I’m going to focus on what is already in my life, and the skills/knowledge I already have.  I guess you could say that I plan to fine tune.

I also want to shift my focus from the things I could have or should have ‘if only….’

While this goal/resolution does have some practical applications (like getting my acquired skills recognized as education) it is more directed towards people and relationships.  In the past 3 years most of the relationships in my life have either been added or dramatically changed, mostly stemming from a series of events almost 4 years ago that resulted in me placing myself in a suicide watch.  Needless to say, this sent a ripple of shock through my family and friends.  People I thought I could count on let me down, and others that I never would have thought to lean on, were rocks.  This lead to me becoming much closer to some people, distancing others, and in some cases creating relationships where I never thought I would.

In the past 3 years, I have seen my life become more solid and full that I ever thought possible.
So this year, I am going to focus my energy on all of the wonderful things and people I have in my life that I would have missed out on had I made a different choice on that day almost 4 years ago.

The first step will be to live 100 days of gratitude, I will write down 100 things I am grateful for by April 30th.  I know it’s not exactly the way it’s supposed to be done, every day for 100 days, but I know myself (and if you read the previous failed experiment you do too lol) and I think it will be more realistic to do any 100 days instead of 100 straight days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment